Cities, counties, the state, federal agencies and tribes implement preservation policies and incentives to effectively protect historic and cultural assets.
- 50 more communities have master plans that include preservation
- 50 more restored historic courthouses
- Increased community involvement and utilization of Section 106
- Main Street cities are Certified Local Governments
Action Ideas and Case Studies
Action Idea: Pass county enabling legislation for preservation at state level
THC Programs Supporting Goal
- Certified Local Government Program
- State Archeological Landmarks
- Project Review including Tribal Consultation Guidelines
- Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation
- Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks
- Preservation Tax Incentives
Resources and More Information
- The THC website details information on federal and state rules and regulations, as well as the Certified Local Government Program that supports local historic preservation programs.
- Initiating Preservation Incentives Handout from the 2011 Annual Historic Preservation Conference
- The National Trust’s Understanding Preservation Law is a user-friendly yet comprehensive discussion of preservation law at the federal, state and local level.
- National Alliance of Preservation Commissions provides information and training to local preservation commissions.
- Statewide Preservation Planning Issues: Legal Framework of Preservation and Historic Housing and Homeowners